Παρασκευή 9 Δεκεμβρίου 2011

Who needs perfection?




This is one of my favorite wedding photos. I'll tell you why. I had an open wedding. And when I say open,I mean really open: 1000 invitations were sent out  because my  family is one of the oldest in Serres (my town) and my folks wanted to make sure that noone was left out. Plus there were quite a few foreigners because my husband had many friends abroad,being a tour guide,as well as his friends and family from Athens where he comes from.

The ceremony was conducted by the bishop of Serres himself (seen in the background of the photo holding his characteristic holy something), along with 12 more priests. Their -usually expensive- services didn't cost my family a dime: both the bishop and all the other priests were happy to attend the wedding as my very religious family is very active and has many ties in the local church,including my priest brother-in-law. The mayor was there too,because I used to be one of his favourite students in high school.

If,out of a town of 70.000,you invite 1000,you can imagine that almost everyone was there.So we wanted everything to be perfect. I had even designed the wedding dress of my dreams myself (but later found a very close approximation to my dream desighn off the peg,so I settled for that instead) in a very romantic style,a cloud of sparkling white frills and lace that ended in a three-meter-long trail that my four flower girls would be carrying around.

Here comes the real funny part: the enormous trail of my dress was attached to my back by a big bow that was securely sown there.Due to wedding preparation stress I kept losing weight the two month prior to the wedding,so my dress had to be taken in three times.This meant that the bow of the trail kept being readjusted as well,each time sown less securely than the one before.

 Now there were 4 flower girls in the wedding,all of them my nieces, a set of  two 8 year olds and a set of two 2 year olds.The 8 year olds were responsible little ladies,but the 2 year olds consisted of a formidable team of two very spirited toddlers who looked infinitely cute and kept tugging at the trail so hard that half the bow came off during the actual ceremony ( if you know anything about greek church weddings,you'd keep in mind that such a ceremony is anything but static,the couple does a lot of  walking around,three circles etc,etc).Look carefully at the photo above and you'll see how the bow is lopsided and out of its proper place.

 This is why the I love the above photo,because it reminds me of the hilarious scene of those two little angel girls pulling so hard at my dress that I thought they'd litterally sweep me off my feet! And how everything in life,no matter how well planned,cannot always go as expected,but that is fine,because the best of moments,those that we really and trully cherish for years to come,are the ones that were unplanned and enjoyed for what they were,when all notions of perfection were abandoned!

Life is supposed to be fun,life is supposed to be enjoyed! Things may not always go according to plan,but there is almost always the opportunity for a good laugh! I have quite a few wedding photow to prove that!


                                                     

                                                            Love,peace and surprises

                                                                           Eirini

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Comments